United Way provides valuable services to support your philanthropic goals, long-term wealth management strategies and non-profit commitments. Opening a Charitable Gift Funds (donor advised fund) with United Way is a convenient way for you to make a lasting investment in the Greater Rochester community.
What is a Charitable Gift Fund
A United Way Charitable Gift Fund is like a checking account for philanthropy. Donors advise United Way on distributions from their no-cost fund, utilizing a flexible and convenient way to help advance the causes they support.
An individual, couple, family or group may create a Charitable Gift Fund by making an initial gift of cash, marketable securities or other assets to United Way. Distributions can be to any domestic charity eligible to receive contributions under the Internal Revenue Code. United Way will help you manage your fund online, by phone or by mail.
- A convenient, free and personalized service that offers flexibility to meet your needs.
- No minimum amount required to open a Charitable Gift Fund
- One gift of stock or mutual fund shares can be used for any number of distributions to organizations that qualify as public domestic charities under the Internal Revenue Code.
- Contributions to your fund are immediately available for distribution and there is no limit to the number of distributions that can be made.
- Charitable deduction may be taken at the time of the contribution.*
- Your fund balance is invested and appreciation is available for distribution.
- The fund may serve as a memorial or family/group charitable fund, where contributions may be made by any family member or friend and up to four individuals may recommend distributions.
- Distributions from your United Way charitable gift fund to United Way of Greater Rochester, its funded program partners, donor designated agencies, or any other United Way count toward qualifying you for membership in one of United Way’s Leadership Giving societies, including Tocqueville the Society with a combined gift of $10,000.
*United Way does not give tax advice. Please consult your tax advisor for further information.
For more information or to open a United Way Charitable Gift Fund, please contact Laurie Ganon at (585) 242-6532 or Laurie.Ganon@uwrochester.org.